Acropora Eco Trail Run – Bay Islands Conservation Association – Roatan Island
Acropora 2019 Eco Trail Run – Vida para la Isla (run for the life of the islands)
August 10, 2019, the Bay Islands Conservation Association (BICA) will host their 3rd annual ACROPORA Eco Trail Run – Vida para la Isla
The event is enjoyed as an opportunity to walk through nature with friends or running in competition for timing. The length of the course has the following categories of 2K, 5K, 10K, 20K with the mindful theme of decreasing the use of single-use plastics and also rubbish separation for recycling.
Promoting Education for the Future of the I
This event helps BICA’s continue the ongoing conservation and education programs in the communities, villages, and schools on the islands with 100 percent of this event going to the programs.
- Platinum $1000 – logo on marketing materials, Facebook
adTV / Radio mention plus receive 8 tickets
- GOLD $500 – logo on marketing materials, Facebook and TV /Radio mention
- SILVER $200 – logo on marketing materials, Facebook and TV /Radio mention
Palmetto Bay Resort Community – a special community with nature in mind
Before the race, we will have cleans ups in the local island communities of Hottest sparrow, Marabella beach and Crawfish rock.
During the event, booths are set up with local artisans selling their goods. Fruit slices and water are available for the runners for purchase BICA and food and beverages are available by the seaside restaurant and bar Ixora located in Palmetto Bay. An awards ceremony is scheduled shortly after the race with pictures and the Local TV station is scheduled to attend.
And Finally, our after party is held at the Roatan Brewery just outside Palmetto Bay entrance where locally brewed beers will be available.
New Ordinances on Roatan and the ongoing focus of BICA
In 2019, Roatan passed 3 new ordinances as follows
- Prohibits the use of plastic Straws
- A ban on plastic bags that businesses use for their carry out products.
- Phasing out the use of Foam containers
- BICA is currently working on another ordinance to present to the Municipal and have approval which is the separation of rubbish and recyclables.
- a continued focus is the reduction of the use of single-use plastics along with the importance of garbage separation and recycling.
Through the race, we together celebrate World Oceans Day while
Recycled informational signs will be posted along the trails of the event. These signs have been made of recycled materials by the islands local schools in their villages. Encouraging the children to participate in the making of the signs solidify what they are learning through education by BICA. Below is a video of last years Acropora Event by Joel Amaya.
For more information and to join our movement and become a member or call us at 9533-1248, 9796-9956 or 2445-3214.
Located at Palmetto Bay Seaside Resort Community where the grounds are kept in their natural state and perfect for trail running and walking.
Afterparty – Roatan Island Brewery
For more info about the Brewery click here